Take a blend of high quality chocolate, infuse it into a traditional European recipe, and then decorate it with elegant horses, and you my friends have Saddleback Chocolates.
Here’s the skinny on this newly formed company that even if you aren’t a part of the horse industry, can still appreciate and enjoy how they got their start to making the chocolates you see today.
- The company formed in an effort to give a great holiday gift when there was nothing more than personalized pens and mugs to be gifted. Chocolate is, and always will be the answer (as far as I’m concerned of course, and those who started Saddleback Chocolates I’m sure will agree too).
- Saddleback Stables Thoroughbreds, LLC is a racing and horse breeding operation whose namesake started the chocolate company. It’s their owners, associates, and breeders they needed a little something something for.
- The chocolate company embodies horses from Saddleback such as Queen Negwer, and includes various other equestrian disciplines. The Queen profile bar embraces one of the most adored Thoroughbreds they know, even claiming she’s as sweet as the chocolate bar she’s named after.
- Right now there are three women behind the company – Mo, Kristy, and Carrie. Each woman brings a different attribute to help get Saddleback on everyone’s radar. Mo is the horsewoman and queen of connections. Kristy is on the chocolate side and helped get things moving and shaking in the beginning. Carrie is in charge of sales and relationship building.
- St. Louis based Bissinger’s is the company hand making and producing these delicacies. Their reputation only serves to enhance what Saddleback Chocolates is doing.
- The chocolate itself focuses on integrity of ingredients from the start. Starting with high quality chocolate means less processing than other confections allowing them to retain higher levels of antioxidants. Additionally, they utilize better-for-you ingredients like organic sweeteners, all-natural extracts, and things like natural dyes.
- The designs on the bars and medallions are painstakingly and beautifully crafted. Even from the pictures you’ll be able to appreciate the vibrant colors and minuscule details that set these chocolates completely apart from any else you may have come across.
- Last but not least, they do customizable gifts. A farm, company, or even rider can have images or logos stamped onto the bars.
Now that you have the full background, isn’t it time to look at some pictures and drool a little?
And then of course if you need any additional reasons to go out and buy some of the chocolates, you have a new spin on thumbprint cookies. Use a shortbread based recipe and cut out whatever shape you desire. As soon as they come out of the oven, gently press a Saddleback Chocolates medallion into the cookie. Remove from the pan and allow the cookies to cool completely. DO NOT touch! These cookies will soon become the highlight of your next tailgating event at various steeplechases, or even the Kentucky Derby.
To full plates and eating your tarte out.