Taking the abundant seasonings of an everything bagel and combining that with an easy to put together hummus, you’re all set for a season of parties and guests that just happen to drop on by at a moments notice. The Everything Bagel Hummus has you covered in terms of ease to make, quick prep time and delicious results!
Everything bagels are a combination of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic, caraway seeds, onion flakes and salt. Invented in New York City back in the 1980’s, they’re definitely a creation that is iconic of the area. Bold, brash and savory, the taste is a wake up call for your mouth. They’re perfect for the person who can’t quite decide what type of bagel to enjoy, or to give you something to chew on as you start your day. But be warned, the seasonings are prone to get stuck in your teeth, yummy but not very attractive.
Usually I have large amounts of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion flakes and caraway seeds lying around. There’s not usually a ton of recipes that call for a large amount of any of these, so they continue to sit on my spice shelf never seeing the light of day. Making even just the everything bagel seasoning mix allows me to amp up things like gluten free bread, sour cream for my potatoes, mashed potatoes, cream cheese spread, savory pizza, chicken wings, rimmed glasses for a bloody mary , salad seasoning and even a coating for seared tuna. As you can see the possibilities are endless.
If you’re wanting an easy to pull together dip, then hummus utilizing canned cannellini beans combined with a little oil and all of the seasonings make for a filling and savory dip served alongside crackers, pita chips, pretzels or vegetables. You can cater to almost any diet with this recipe. All you need is a food processor to blend the ingredients which is why you can whip this up in just under five minutes.
Enjoy your holidays and the spice of the season!
To full plates and eating your tarte out,
- 2 cans of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons of everything bagel seasoning (see below)
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seed oil
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 whole head of roasted garlic (optional)
- In a food processor, combine all of the above ingredients. Add roasted garlic if you enjoy the extra boost of garlicky flavor.
- Scrape down sides of food processor and blend for an additional minute. If the consistency is too thick, add in one tablespoon of water at a time to help thin out recipe to your desired likeness.
- Taste hummus and if extra seasoning is desired, sprinkle an additional tablespoon on top once hummus is placed into a serving bowl. Drizzle an additional two tablespoons of olive oil on top of your hummus and serve immediately with crackers, chips and/or vegetables.
- 4 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- 4 tablespoons of sesame seeds (black or white)
- 4 tablespoons of dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons of caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons of kosher or coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of garlic powder (or garlic flakes)
- In a bowl combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.